Nurses play a vital role in the healthcare sector and provide essential duties day and night. From assisting doctors to treating ‘death-fighting’ patients, nurses always remained underrated when it comes to true appreciation and recognition.
International Nurses Day is observed every May 12 annually to highlight the ‘life-saving’ contribution of those hard-working nurses across the world, who sacrificed their sleep, comfort, and even skipped their meals.
Why International Nurses Day is Celebrated?
International Nurses Day is celebrated to pay homage to Florence Nightingale (12 May 1820-13 August 1910) for her remarkable work in nursing and also social reforms. During the Crimean War that took place between 1854-1856, she firmly volunteered to be appointed as a nurse to serve wounded soldiers. The day is the birth anniversary of Nightingale.
What is Florence Nightingale Best Known For?
Here are some remarkable works she had done for the welfare of the society, adding on a memorable expression in the healthcare department:
- Writing over 150 books, pamphlets, and reposts on health-related issues.
- Creating one of the first versions of the pie chart.
- Making hospitals a cleaner and safer place to be.
- Joined as a ‘Superintendent of the Female Nurses in the Hospitals in the East’.
- Titled “The Lady with the Lamp”
Throughout her life, Florence campaigned for nursing reforms about the need for sanitation and urged her superiors on the need for trained nurses and also for the funds for better nursing facilities.
International Nurses Day 2022 Quotes
Do you remember the nurse that took care of you when you were hospitalized or took medical care in the past? Try to, because it’s high time to wish them well, who took care of you, no matter how you treated them back.
Here are some influential quotes and wishes you can share around, to spread the awareness of this iconic day of celebrating the hard work of ‘Godly’ nurses-
- “The most important practical lesson that can be given to nurses is to teach them what to observe.” – Florence Nightingale
- “A nurse will always give us hope, an angel with a stethoscope.”- Carrie Latet
- “Caring is the essence of nursing.”- Jean Watson
- “The trained nurse has become one of the great blessings of humanity, taking a place beside the physician and the priest.”- William Osler
- “Nurses dispense comfort, compassion, and care without even a prescription.” –Val Saintsbury
- “Our job as nurses is to cushion the sorrow and celebrate the joy, every day, while we are ‘just doing our jobs.” –Christine Belle