I hate wearing shoes. If possible, I prefer to go barefoot or wear as little footwear as possible.
Allbirds sneakers are something I have never seen, they are pretty different. These shoes are more comfortable than running shoes and feel soft and cushy. However, they’re good enough to wear for city exploration.
Allbirds eco-friendly shoes are distinguished by their use of New Zealand Merino wool. This superfine wool is soft, breathable, and moisture-wicking. It’s also odour-resistant. Although I was unsure how wool would work in shoes, I was intrigued to read that Allbirds makes the most comfortable shoes in the world.
Two years ago, I purchased a pair and put them to the test during our trips from Australia to New Zealand. This Allbirds Wool Runners review focuses primarily on the pros and cons, but I will also compare them with the Allbirds Tree Runners that Simon has.
The women’s Allbirds look identical to the men’s, so I have reviewed both.
- Different Styles for Allbirds
- Allbirds Wool Runner Details
- Allbirds Wool Runners Sizing
- Allbirds Wool Runners Review: Pros
- Allbirds Con
- How to Wash Allbirds
- Allbirds Wool Runners vs Tree Runners
- Allbirds Common Question
- Are Allbirds worth it?
- Where can I buy Allbirds Shoes
- Other Shoe Reviews
Different styles of allbirds
Wearing my Allbirds Wool Runners at the Brighton Bathing Boxes in Melbourne
Allbirds is a hugely popular style, with many styles available beyond the original Wool Runners.
All are available in both men- and women-friendly versions, with the exception of the Tree Breezers for women.
Here is their current lineup
- Wool Runners – The original merino-wool shoes that created such a sensation. This will be the Allbirds review.
- Wool Runner mizzles, and Runner up mizzles – These are similar to Wool Runners, but they are water repellent and have more gripping soles. You can also get them in a high-top model. For a comparison to the original Wool runners, read my Allbirds Mizzles Review.
- Tree Runners – A summer version made with silky smooth, cooling eucalyptus fiber and the classic merino Wool insole. Simon loves them. Below is a comparison of Allbirds Wool vs Tree Runners.
- Tree Dashers The Allbirds running shoes are my favorite for running. If you require more support, they can be used for walking. You can also get them in a water-repellent option. For more information, see my Allbirds Dashers Review.
My Allbirds Tree Dashers
- Tree Breezers Women’s ballet flats. These flats are so light and comfortable that they can even be worn for dinner out. For more information and comparisons with other popular ballet flats Tieks or Rothy’s, see my Allbirds Flats Review.
- Loungers – Slip-on, laceless shoes in wool or tree fabrics.
- Tree Skippers – This is a slimmer version of the runners, but it offers less support. These boat shoes are great for warm days.
- Tree Toppers – A high-top version for Tree Runners.
- Pipers – These casual sneakers, which are as soft and cozy as the Wool Runners, but with a retro look and lower profile, are Pipers. This versatile look can be worn up or down.
- Trail Runners SWT – Running shoes for off-road terrain, with rugged soles.
Simon in his Allbird Tree Runners at a Nelson vineyard, New Zealand.
Allbirds Wool Runner Details
Sizes: Women’s US 5 – 11 and men’s US 8 – 14 (no half sizes).
Colors: 17 colors in the US (fewer options in other countries)
Weight: 199g (7oz) per shoe (size US 8)
Price: US $98 with free shipping and 30-day returns (price varies by country)
Buy from: Allbirds website in many countries including US, UK, Canada, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.